The Department of Social and Political Sciences SPS in one of the largest university departments in Cyprus with about 400 undergraduate, 50 graduate, and 12 doctoral students.
It offers academic programs in the three distinct fields of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism.
The SPS is a dynamic and creative academic community of 16 faculty members, 15 adjunct lecturers and a number of research associates.
More specifically, the Department:
- Runs three popular undergraduate programs in Political Science (since 1996), Sociology (since 1997) and Journalism (since 2012); an MA program in Political Science (since 2012) and two PhD programs in Political Science and Sociology (since 1999).
- Runs a Departmental Internship Program, offering the opportunity to undergraduate and graduate students to gain practical training in important public and private organizations.
- Runs one of the largest Erasmus university programs sending and hosting dozens of students through a well-established network of more than 50 universities.
- Participates in inter-university European programs and organizes an international summer school
- Has an internationalized faculty that undertakes and publishes high-quality research and serves in the editorial boards and editorial teams of well-known international journals.
- Has faculty members who are actively involved in social outreach activities in Cyprus; policy-making in various national and international bodies; and offers expertise in various fora.
Teaching at the SPS
Our programs offer comprehensive coverage of their respective fields focusing on the development of particular skills.
More specifically, our program aim:
- To develop analytical and critical thinking
- To enhance writing and research skills
- To improve and broaden linguistic skills, and
The programs also include internationalization opportunities through participation in the Erasmus program and participation in the Model UN and EU.
All programs additionally offer the possibility of practical training through participation in the Departmental Internship Program.
On our website, you will find some of the numerous examples of the successful career trajectories of our 1300 graduates.
Thank you for your interest in our Department.