There are currently more than 500 Confucius Institutes in more than 130 countries, playing a key role in education and culture exchanges between China and the rest of the world.
By 2020, it is expected that the Institute will be nationally and internationally recognized as having made a significant contribution to the development of strong cultural, research and economic links between China and Cyprus. It will achieve this by:
- Promoting awareness of Chinese language and culture in Cyprus.
- Acting as a focal point to support China related activities in Cyprus and beyond.
- Offering innovative and flexible Chinese language courses, not only to students at the University of Cyprus, but also to the wider community in Cyprus.
- Establishing an imaginative and exciting programme of events, which will contribute to enhance cultural understanding of China for the Cypriot business community and the public sector.
- Developing and promoting teaching and research in the area of Chinese studies in Cyprus.
- Providing service to the public and private sectors that will facilitate improved relations and a deepening of economic links between Cyprus and China.
- Hosting scholars, researchers and language teachers from China and from all over the world.
- Establishing a resource center for local professionals teaching Chinese language.
- Setting up a HSK (Chinese Language Proficiency Examination) Center for Chinese language testing and test preparation.
- Strengthening the understanding and bonds with the Chinese Diaspora.
- Promoting the Cypriot culture to China.